Friday, March 6, 2009

Tina's Crashed Car Closure.

This week has flown by for me as this post should have been done Tuesday evening not Friday evening.

Last weekend I decided to post the tires that were on Tina's Crashed Buick, for sale on Craigs list. I posted around 2pm Saturday afternoon. By 5pm I had two people very interested in them. I figured it wouldn't take long as I put the price "rock bottom, almost giving them away".

I made contact with the first responder, but he kinda acted like he didn't want to do anything about them until maybe Tuesday. I mentioned that the insurance wrecker would be picking it up on Tuesday. So I hung up the phone and contacted the other guy that was interested.

To make a very long story short, the tires would be for his son who was in desperate need of them. We agreed that he had to arrive at my home Monday evening, ready to remove the tires and rims from his son's car and re-mount them on Tina's Crashed Buick.

They both, (he and his son) arrived Monday around 5pm and started the tire swap. I commented to the son that he was driving on borrowed time with his tires, as they had large bulges on the sidewalls and were almost smooth with no tread. He mentioned how he has been commuting to Toledo Ohio for work a couple times a week, and money was pretty tight. His eyes really lighted up when he saw the "like new" tires on Tina's Crashed Buick!

After the tires were switched the three of us stood looking at how nice they looked on the sons car. His father commented that it didn't take very long at all to switch tires. I said "No not at all considering there is only 2 and a half of us doing it!" The father started laughing telling his son that "see I told you that you weren't a man yet!" I said NO I didn't mean him....I meant ME (as I was the oldest of the three of us, and I only counted for the half!). Now the son, father and myself were laughing like we knew each other for many years.

Then the son asked me if I was still firm with the price. I hesitated....looked back at the new tires and wheels on his car....looked back at him and said: Well, you did get the wheels with the tires. And the wheels only have 60,000 miles on them. So....I guess I can be flexable here and raise the price up another $100.00!

His jaws dropped, he looked at his father. His dad said he didn't bring any more cash, so now what is he going to do? (By this time his father was going along with me on this joke).
The boy dug deep in his pockets, pulled out all the cash he had, and started counting.

When he reached the amount I agreed to sell them for I proceeded to tell him I was just kidding with him! I thought his dad was going to split his gut he was laughing so hard. The boy then smiled at me and handed me the amount we first agreed upon.

I looked him in the eye and said. "A man is only as good as his word. We both agreed on a price. And that is all that should be passed between him and myself ".

I asked him how he felt about the deal. He expressed his joy and excitement at what he acquired. I told him the great feeling he has inside of him is also the feeling I was getting. His eyes locked on mine.

I then told him...."As these are hard times, and we were in a hurry to sell the tires before the insurance wrecker hauls the Buick to the junk yard, we both made out evenly. You are getting the feeling of receiving a great deal. I was getting an even better feeling of helping not only him, but my daughter, as they both are struggling in today's tough times.

I told him I was telling him this so that he might remember this day sometime in the future. That someday in the future when he might do the same as I had just done. Then he would know the feeling inside as I was.

His father stood silent, his son shook my hand and thanked me. I waved as they drove away with those new tires and rims on his car.

Later that evening the phone rang. It was Ron, the father. I asked if something happened with the tires. He said no....he just wanted to call and thank me again for what I just did. He said I must have gotten through to his son, as they talked about what I said and life in general, all the way home.

He thanked me again, I wished him good luck in the future. We hung up the phone.

Tina settled with the insurance company, receiving more than she first expected. The "Crashed Buick" is no longer in my yard. And I smile, because I know in my heart that both Tina and the boy are very happy.

Another adventure in our lives. Until next time, be safe and God Bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a good man Charlie Brown.
God Bless