Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Deck Chairs, Death, & Surgery

From the title you can tell it's been another busy week.

First I tackled the job of replacing the fabric on the deck chairs that were given to us by Wilma's sister Connie. She had replace the fabric once before and didn't want to do it again.

Now I'm no seamstress by a long shot. Never even plugged in the sewing machine. First off I had to get out the instruction booklet to familiarize myself with this machine. Then how to install the thread, load the bobbin, install the bobbin, yada yada yada... This process took 2 hours alone!
OK, I think I understand how to make that needle go up and down.

Now comes the scary part. Measure the piece of fabric and cut it into 4 pieces, 2 different sizes. Can't make a mistake here, this fabric was mega expensive, even on sale!

Measure twice, cut once is the old saying.

My way, measure about 6 times, questioning myself after each measurement, and YIKES...cut once. I did it! And to almost my surprise, it came out the exact size I wanted. (Now it was time to wipe the sweat beads off the ol fore head).

Let the sewing begin! More sweat beads, damn near bit off my tongue!

Ok, the stiches aren't pretty, and you wouldn't want me to make any type of clothing to wear. But after all, it's just for a deck chair, and it looked pretty darn good if I say so myself!

What ya think?

This is the "Before" deck chair.

This is the "After" deck chair.

As last Sunday the temps got up to 84 outside, Wilma just had to try one of them out. She gave it her approval. Job well done.

Today, Tuesday the 28th. my brother Ken went into the hospital to have a hip replacement. He is 4 years younger than I am, and in better shape weight wise. He doesn't know why he has been having such problems with his hip, but the pain got pretty bad so the Dr. scheduled him for the surgery. Hopefully as I write this he is resting comfortably in the hospital bed. He is expected to be released from the hospital this Friday.

Margie, Ken's wife received word today, while at the hospital with Ken, that her father had passed away. It was expected as his health was failing rapidly in the convalescent home. Hospice was called it to take care of him last Saturday. God rest his soul, as he has suffered many years with his health.

So....until next time, be safe and God Bless you.

No comments: