Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sidewalk Replacement begins.

This afternoon the beginning of the sidewalk replacement began. Steve, the son of one of my close friends, was originally hired to replace 3 flags of sidewalk for me. He called Friday and said he would start the removal Sunday. Today was that day! He also brought along a friend of his that has been in the cement business for over 25 years to help him.


I introduced them to my neighbor who also needs some sidewalk replacement. As it turns out my neighbor needs about 15 flags replaced. Talking to Steve, he said we should be just a little shy of a full load, and if we ordered a full load the price per yard would be less.

So... as you can see from the picture below it looks like I have another 5 flags that can be added to make a full load between the two of us.



We have agreed on a labor price per flag, and we will each pay for our amount of concrete. He has around 15 flags and I now have 8 flags.

Tomorrow morning I will be calling our Cities "forestry" dept. to have the tree roots ground out from where the new concrete will be laid. After the roots are ground out, I will call Steve to have the forms put in place. Meanwhile my neighbor will be getting his permit from the city to have his sections replaced. Steve said when he comes out to put in our forms, he would then remove the rest of the sections of sidewalk that need to be removed from my sidewalk and my neighbors.

After the forms are in place I call the inspector requesting a "form inspection". After approval then the cement is poured. After it sets up, the forms are removed and I call for the final inspection. If all goes well, and the final inspection passes, both the neighbor and myself will be refunded the $100.00 bond that each of us had to put up along with the $35.00 permit fee.

I'll tell ya, I sure will be glad when this is all over and done with. If you are a regular reader, you may remember that this all started last Summer.




Click on this picture for a look at the "before" pictures.

Another adventure, until next time, be safe and God Bless.

No comments: