Sunday, June 14, 2009

Meeting with the DAV

The sun was shinning in the bedroom window by 6:30am. I thought...get up and read a few Blogs this morning, so that's what I did.

I'm getting a large collection of Blogs that I really enjoy reading. The people that can post every day just totally amaze me. How do they do it? How do they find things to talk about, and every one of them interest me. Look to the left of this page for a listing of a few of the blogs I follow.

One especially stands out to me. A few days ago he wrote about "hanging out" back in the late 50's in Canada. His name is Al, from Bayfield, Ontario, Canada. Check out his Blog and see if you don't enjoy his writing. Way to go Al.

Another is George from The Adventures of Tioga and George . Every day you can rely on something from George. Beware though, if you start reading these two Blogs everyday you will get hooked on them and they will become a must read for you each day! God love em both.

Around 10am this morning I heard that the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) were meeting with the local vets to answer any questions that they might have about claims. I being a Viet Nam Vet thought I'd check them out, after all I did have a question about the Asbestos I was exposed to on the Navy ship I was on for 4 years.

Turns out that they could not tell me anything other than what I already knew. But there were at least a dozen Vets showed up during the hour and a half I was there. I'm sure they had to of been able to help some of them. I thanked them for the advice they did give me as I left to head back home.

Arriving home, Wilma was on the deck having her 2nd cup of coffee and we talked about our plans for the day. We still had to load up the motor home with supplies, (food & clothes), for the camping trip that will start Thursday and end Sunday. Tina tells me that the 3 grand kids are all hyped up about going camping, that they can't wait to "catch the big one" in the lake.
Wilma and I both know it takes a toll on us trying to keep up with those grand kids, but we also know we are leaving memories for them that they will carry for the rest of their lives. That alone makes it well worth every sore muscle at the end of the day.

We both are feeling much better today. Those colds we had sure took it out of us for a few days, but I'm sure we will be really fine by Tuesday with no effects at all.

The only other thing that happened out of the ordinary today is a fire truck went speeding past the house this afternoon with lights and sirens going. We ran to watch where they were headed. They went to the next block over. Then a few minutes later the ambulance came following the same path as the firetruck. Hope everyone is ok. Didn't see any smoke so it probably was a health call.

Oh yea....speaking of health calls...
We were at Kroger's yesterday. We were just going down the last isle when Wilma spotted a gent laying on the floor. He was with a basket full of cut up boxes and had a name tag on. Presumably a Kroger employee. We went to his aid, Wilma asking what was wrong. The only answer she could get was he was diabetic and that he had taken his insulin shot that morning. I took off running for another employee to call 911. Within 5 minutes there were 8 Kroger employees around and we were waiting for the ambulance. Finally they arrived and after we told him he said he was diabetic they took a sugar test. Found it was only 29! So they gave him a small bottle of orange juice to drink. Sammy couldn't even hold it to his mouth he was shaking so hard.
To make the story shorter, after we got through the cashier and headed out to our car, we noticed the ambulance was still there. They were still working on Sammy. I'm sure he will be ok as they just needed to get his sugar back up to normal readings.
I commented to Wilma that I remembered when my sugar went down to 62 and how bad I was starting to feel. I couldn't imagine the feeling with it as low as Sammy's. Wow!

Until our next adventure, be safe and God Bless.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: